Museum of the city and The Castle Sea of Mata
The Ciudad y el Mar, Castillo de Mata Museum was declared a Historic Artistic Monument in 1949, and is one of the last few remnants of the defence system of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria from 16th century. It is located next to the Government building at the Cabildo de Gran Canaria, in the district of Triana. It used to be part of the city’s defensive walls and played a key role in seeing off the attacks by pirates Van der Does and Drake.
It name may derive from its acasamatada structure, referring to its fortified walls. It has recently been restored and is now to be turned into a cultural site in the city.
The museum centre is divided up into four exhibition halls and a vault, and narrates the history of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria from the 15th century through to the present day, and centres on two main axis, the history of the Castle, and the archaeology and history of the city’s links with the sea.
- Created on .
- Hits: 3487