WINE AND WATER ROUTE (2)
HOYA DEL GAMONAL
Both the special relief in this area and the trade winds provide a permanent fresh environment, even in summertime. The main part of this territory is a public property, shared between San Mateo Valley and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, where most of the water that rises in Siete Fuentes (seven fountains) is collected. In the early XXth century, a british company extracted water in order to fulfill the growing needs of the city. The rising water was then transported by iron pìpelines from Hoya del Gamonal (Gamonal plain) to Llano de las Brujas (Witches’ plain), in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
It is set on the border of two important neighborhoods in San Mateo Valley, La Lechucilla and La Lechuza. It belonged to Englishmen who had hydraulic use systems in vine growing. In 1874 they sold those water distributing butt pads to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria town hall and there was also an agreement on the use of the water rising up on Gamonal and Camaretas peaks. In order to do so, tubing the water down to the capital city was necessary and this task was commended to the British City of Las Palmas Water and Power Company Limited. Along the channeling, water houses and distributing hoods were built, also by British engineers and foremen.
- Created on .
- Hits: 3850